Instruments and Bows
The Instruments. Lashof Violins has a large selection of instruments to view - ranging in price from $250.00 to $15,000.00. We also have hundreds of bows ranging in price from $40.00 to $3,000.00. We sell instruments and bows which are handpicked from many makers throughout the world.
Our handmade instruments have a 100% trade-in allowance (case excluded), minus any devaluation caused by damage or needed maintenance/repairs. When trading from a commercial quality instrument purchased from Lashof Violins, the trade-in will be 100% minus a $75 (violin/viola) or $150 (cello) fee for exchange to an instrument of equal or greater value. Commercial quality instruments (rental grade) also are devalued by 10% per year after ownership.
One week Instrument and Bow trials are available with no obligation with a valid driver's license and credit card. Care and safety of Instruments and Bows out on trial are the full responsibility of the customer. Please note: instrument and wood bow trials are only available to in-store customers.
The following are examples of instruments that we typically carry. We specialize in having a variety of instruments to choose from, not limiting you to just a few modern "shop" brands. The instruments listed are examples of what we normally offer and may vary in availability due to our ever-changing stock. Because the majority of our customers are looking for an instrument, case, and bow, the prices listed are for the entire outfit, unless otherwise noted.
$250.00- $350.00 Outfit
1/16 to 4/4 Used German, Chinese, Romanian, Japanese, & Czech
$350.00- $750.00 Outfit
1/16 to 4/4 new and used Leon Albert, Century Strings, Eastman Strings, Euro, Thoma, older German Violins, and more!
We at Lashof Violins are in the business of preservation, which is why we always provide a suspension style case with our handmade violin outfits to help you offer your instrument as much protection as possible.
$650.00- $1,250.00 Outfit-- Includes Oblong Case (with suspension) and strong Brazilwood or Composite Bow
- 1/2 to 4/4 Century Model 320 and 420 violins
- 1/4 to 4/4 used older German handmade violins from the early 20th Century to modern.
- 1/2 - 3/4 Laschevere
- 1/2 - 4/4 Medio Fino by JTL c1900 French
- 1/4-3/4 Used Rudolph Doetsch (Stock changes frequently; Stop by to see what is available!)
- 1/4 - 4/4 Eastman models - 200, 300, 305, 315
- Ivan Dunov by Eastman Strings
$1,250.00- $1,850.00 Outfit-- Includes Oblong Case (with suspension) and Pernambuco or Composite Bow
- 3/4 French circa 1900
- 4/4 Albert Nebel
- 1/2-4/4 German circa 1850-1950
- 1/2 French School circa 1920- 1950
- 7/8 by Several Different Makers
- West Coast Instrument Company
- Arcos Brasil Instruments
- Ivan Dunov Superior by Eastman Strings
- 4/4 JTL (French)
$2,000.00- $3,000.00 Outfit-- Includes Oblong Case (with suspension) and Pernambuco or Composite Bow
- 4/4 Rudolph Doetsch
- Century Strings
- West Coast Strings
- Many Different European circa 1850-1950
- Snow (Made in 2007)
- David Lashof- USA
- Eric Caldwell-USA
- Monzino & Figli
- Mangenot (with Certificate)
- Modern Italian- Piero Badalassi
- French; Attributed to J. Hel Workshop
$1,200.00 to $10,000.00
- Rudolph Doetsch
- David Lashof
- Eric Caldwell
- Century 320s and 420s
- Ivan Dunov Superior
- 16 3/8"; 1987 Lawrence Furse
$1,500.00 to $14,000.00
- Rudolph Doetsch
- David Lashof
- 7/8 Samuel Chen
- Ivan Dunov Superior
- Frederick Wyss
- Pedro Luis
- Lemmert- German circa 1920
- Several Models of Eastman Strings Instruments
- Several Models of Century Strings Instruments
We ship Composite Bows for a one week no risk trial
- Fiberglass - Excellent for beginning students: plastic or wood fittings with real horse hair. $40 - 75.00
- Basic Carbon Fiber - Composite materials with ebony frogs. $90.00 and up. (Available for shipment)
- Graphite and Composite - For serious students: higher quality cores, sticks, and fittings. $200 and up. (Available for shipment)
- Brazilwood - usually a heavily varnished bow with nickel silver fittings and full- or half-lined frogs.$60.00 - 300.00.
- Pernambuco (Nickel Fittings) - for the advanced player or serious student; finest wood from South American province of Pernambuco. Now an endangered species. Brown to red to red-orange color with nickel silver fittings in the frog. Tongue oiled and/or French polished. $200 - 500.00.
- Pernambuco (Pure silver, gold, tortoise shell, silver thread fittings) - For serious students, music majors, professors, collectors and professionals: Finest bows available. $350 and up.
The Bows We Carry
We stock hundreds of bows for violin, viola, cello and bass - from $40.00 to $3,000.00. It would be impossible to list them all, listed below are some examples
One-week Instrument and Bow trials are available locally with no obligation with a valid drivers license and credit card. Care and safety of Instruments and Bows out on trial are the full responsibility of the customer. (We do not ship instruments or wood bows for trial.)
- Brazilwood bows from $60 to $300
- Pernambuco bows from $250 to $3000
- Composite Bows: by Jon Paul, Coda, Iesta, Finkel, Cadenza, West Coast, Tabary, Glasser, and more starting from under $100.00
- K Moller Pernambuco
- K Moller - Pernambuco Silver
- Horst John-Brazil- Pernambuco
- Swiss -silver mounted bows in 1/2 to 4/4
- Lothar Seifert Pernambuco
- John Norwood Lee - Mouton and Mouret
- R. Dotchkail -German Pernambuco Cello Bow
- Hoyer-German- Pernambuco
- John Friederick
- Arcos Brazil -Brazil-Pernambuco
- Marco Raposa -Brazil-Pernambuco
- Water Violet
- Sobel - Violin - Russia
- H.R. Pfretzschner
- Emile Dupree- Cello
*Bows listed above are examples of bows we carry. Please call to check for availability.